Wednesday, March 09, 2011

You were called... to blog?

Lent is here again and like I've done for about the last 15 or so years, I prayed about if there was something God wanted me to give up (or do) for Lent this year to remember Christ's sacrifice and prepare for celebrating His death and resurrection.  I typically know I've heard from God when my reaction is "Oh, no...  I can't do that!"

This year I heard, "Blog everyday."  And I caught myself responding, "I can't do that!"

Shoot.  That was a couple of days ago and I haven't had any other ideas other than ones that seem like self-imposed ideas (exercising, no sugary stuff, etc.) rather than ideas from God.

I like the blogging idea in some ways.  After all, I do like blogging.  But it doesn't take a math whiz to see that I haven't been blogging much lately!  I think I have felt less motivated because of how many things I have to do each day that don't get done, the trouble I have figuring out where it fits in my days and trouble gathering my thoughts because they seem so un-gathered.  And then there's my hesitation because whenever I say I'm going to do something on the blog, it seems that I don't very often follow through.

And I've NEVER blogged even everyday for a WEEK, let alone 40 days, which is why I would never attempt this if I didn't believe God was leading me and going to help me and likely going to teach me something through this.  I'm sure He has a purpose in this because He never does anything without a purpose.

As I thought about what these 40 posts might contain, I thought about songs I've written, other stuff I've taught, and ended up with the verse that has become a life verse for me:

Colossians 3:15-17
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

I'm expecting God to speak to me and give me something to write about these 40 days.  I don't know if anyone will be reading along or not, but thankfully my commitment is to God and not you, so even if nobody else sees, I'm going to try my best to do it.  : )

Until Tomorrow,
Melissa

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and heart with me.