Thursday, March 17, 2011

Now, that's GRACE!

These two verses are probably my 2 favorites about grace.  2 Corinthians 9:8  "And God is able to make ALL grace abound to you so that in ALL things at ALL times having ALL that you need you will ABOUND in EVERY good thing."  This is so cool!  Do you see all of those "ALL's"???  It does not say that He will sometimes give us some of what we need so that we might barely be able to survive.  We are more than conquerors, friend - ALL. THE. TIME!  And that word "abound"?  The Greek word there means “to exceed a fixed number of measure, to be left over and above a certain number or measure.”  Think Jesus feeding the 5000 and having leftovers!  That's what abound means!  : )  I want that!!!  I love that!!!  
I remember one time asking God why I wasn't feeling very satisfied if His grace was so abundant and He showed me a picture of someone (ummm... I think it was me) sitting at a huge, overflowing banquet table and that person (ahem...  I mean I) was complaining about being hungry.  And God said "It's because you're not eating!!!"  Everything I need has already been given me through Jesus.  I just need to walk in it!  
2nd:  God’s GRACE is SUFFICIENT. 2 Cor.  12:9 says “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”   I'm so tempted to type in all caps and size 40 font here so you could really hear me.  Get this:  The word there for "sufficient" doesn't just mean "enough".  That word means to be POSSESSED with UNFAILING STRENGTH.  God's grace is unfailingly strong for me and you, friend.  UNFAILINGLY.  And that word at the end for "rest" is about taking residence or abiding.  So I'll gladly say I am WEAK and need God's strength tonight and tomorrow and forever because without Him I CAN DO NOTHING.  I will gladly boast about my weaknesses because I want God's power to take up residence in me!  And as long as I depend on myself, I won't be depending on God's power.  Oh, why do I forget that?  Why is it still my first reflex to think I can handle something?  I still have so much to learn.
I want to leave you with this picture.  God's grace is NOT "enough" or "sufficient" or "abundant" like a cup or pitcher filled to the top with water.  It is like this:
(If you're reading this in a reader, PLEASE click over to watch the video if you can't open it!)

And when I start to feel like I can't do it anymore, (likely that will be tomorrow sometime) I'm praying God reminds me (like He's been doing lately!) of what I wrote here - that He will allow me to picture myself standing at the base of this huge waterfall holding out an empty cup crying out to Him saying "I can't do this, God!  I don't have enough strength!" and that I'll hear Him saying right back to me, "What?  I can't hear you!  My GRACE is too loud!"  And that I'll let myself laugh at the ridiculousness of thinking I could ever exhaust His strength or His grace.  And I'll  toss my measly cup into the froth and jump in and get washed away by His love, His mercy...  and His amazing, astounding grace.
Day 9

1 comment:

  1. I like this you talking about grace thing :). Have a great day!!! love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and heart with me.