Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Saying Thanks... Saying Grace...

GRACE.  Oh, what a loaded word that is for me at this point in my life.  Loaded in the most wonderful way.  Loaded, not like a gold mine but like a super high class jewelry store.  : )

Colossians 3:15-17 has some neat jewels I discovered last week.  V. 15 says to be thankful.  V. 16 talks about singing to God with gratitude in our hearts.  V. 17 says whatever we do, to do it in Jesus' name, giving thanks to God.  Do you see those 3 words?  Guess what!?!  Let me be a teacher for just a minute and give you a Kindergarten version Greek lesson.


In V 15 - the word for thankful in Greek is eucharistos and it means "mindful of favors, grateful, thankful."
In V 16 - the word for gratitude in Greek is charis and it actually means "grace"!
In V 17 - the word for thanks in Greek is eucharisteo and it means "to be grateful, to feel thankful, to give thanks."

Both of the words in Vs. 15 & 17 come from that root word "charis" (in V. 16) which is the normal New Testament word for grace.  GRACE.  Being thankful and grateful is what happens when we realize we've been blessed or when someone gives us a gift or shows us any kind of grace.

So when I look at those verses with those definitions in mind, to me it means something like this:

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.  AND REMEMBER THE GRACE YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN.  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly... as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs WITH A HEART GRATEFULLY AWARE OF GOD'S GRACE.  And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, REJOICING IN THE GRACE GOD HAS GIVEN YOU THROUGH CHRIST.

When I forget to remember just how much God has done for me and all He has given me by His grace, my spirit starts to wilt.  But when I remember what I know about His grace and the power there is in His grace, my spirit starts to soar.  And I remember I can do all things through Christ.  I am more than a conqueror.  The very power that brought Jesus back from the dead is alive and at work in me!  If my God is for me, who can stand against me?!?  And I get all fired up and ready to take on the day again.  And want to keep talking and writing about His amazing grace again.

And I probably will again tomorrow...  Because I don't think I've ever really blogged about all the cool stuff God taught me a couple of years ago about His grace.  And I think it's time!

Day 7

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:28 AM

    Just finished John Piper's "Future Grace", and that's what it's all about. Why would God not continue the grace He has already shown us.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and heart with me.