Monday, March 21, 2011

Before the Throne of Grace

A couple of Septembers ago, I was in awe of the invitation God gives us - to approach God's throne of grace boldly!  Back in the Old Testament times, if the High Priest entered behind the curtain into the Most Holy Place, he had to carry burning incense with him so the smoke would conceal the atonement cover (aka mercy seat) of the ark where God's presence rested - OR HE WOULD DIE.  Wow. (Leviticus 16:12-13)  

I have always been moved by what God did when Jesus died on the cross for us - that He reached down from heaven and tore that curtain in two from top to bottom!  To go from "you can't come in here or you'll die" to an open invitation is stunning.  God has shown me the reason it means so much to me is because more than anything else, I long for intimacy with God.  I don't always realize that's what I am longing for, but it's there at the bottom of it all.  And the curtain being torn is my invitation to intimacy with my Savior and King.  Wow.

So, that September, I was feeling like I would love to write a song about it but couldn't figure out even where to start.  Then God gently suggested that I start with some of His words.  Aaahhh...  of course.  Hebrews 2:15; 3:1; 4:14-16; 10:19-23; 13:5-6; Micah 7:18; Eph. 2:4-5... 

And the song was born.  


BEFORE THE THRONE OF GRACE  (click here to listen to it)

We have a great high priest
Jesus Christ, the Son of God
He came from heaven to earth
He knows our struggles and how weak we are
Yet He was without sin
And through His body, invites us in

CH:     Let us come before the throne, the throne of grace
With confidence before our God
Let us boldly approach the throne of grace
With confidence before our King  (1st time, go to V2)
To receive mercy and find grace
To help us in our time of need
You offer mercy, You pour out your grace
You always help us in our time of need

So let us draw near to God
With sincere hearts, full of faith
Guilty consciences clean
Captives set free from the power of death!
Hold onto your hope (hold on to your faith)
God our Father is faithful!

BR:                 So we say with confidence
“The Lord is our helper.”
He will never leave us
We will not be afraid.
God, You delight in mercy
By your grace we are saved!
We will fix our thoughts on You
For You have called us by name

To receive mercy…  etc…
(So I cry)  Lord, have mercy on me!

Hebrews 2: 15; 3:1; 4:14-16; 10:19-23; 13:5-6 ; Micah 7:18  ; Eph. 2:4-5 

Song by Melissa Ens
9.12.09

Day 12

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and heart with me.