Thursday, July 26, 2007

Happy Birthday Coleeny-Beany!

Today is my sister's birthday! I was inspired to write about her when I was cleaning some windows with my kids. You see, Coleen has always DESPISED cleaning windows outside because she can't stand spiders. : ) (Which is why she lives in the country now, I'm sure.) So every time I clean any windows (which, mind you, isn't very often) I think of her. Plus, it was a job that we frequently endured together... one of us inside, the other outside so we could get all the spots at once, you know.

Coleen is 22 months younger than I am and to the right here is a picture of Coleen (right), Greg (top), Brad (middle) and Kevin (bottom right). Oh, and that's me on the left. This picture was taken hmmm... probably when I was in around 5th grade (?) and Coleen was still SHORTER than me. (or is it shorter than I???) Anyway, by the time we were in high school, she was taller than I was. (I am now the shortest one.) So, besides the fact that she was taller and looked older than I did (which is a REALLY BIG deal when you're in high school and everyone thinks you are younger than you really are) here are some other things I should tell you about my amazing sister. First of all, she has 5 (FIVE!) wonderful children who I am priviledged to call my niece and nephews. (Yes, if you noticed, she only has one girl. That means she has 4 boys.) But that's really good, b/c Coleen and I were used to being around boys, seeing as we had 3 brothers, and growing up Coleen was never really afraid of boys like I was anyway. That's all I'm going to say about that. : )

She lives out in the country with cows (if I remember right, 2 of them are named T-Bone and Chuck), chickens, a couple of ducks and goats and dogs and cats (I think... I lose track sometimes.) She also homeschools the older kids. (I told you she was amazing! But no, don't worry, her house isn't always clean and she's not perfect. But she is amazing!) Growing up Coleen and I laughed and LAUGHED and sang and played together (and argued a bit, though we never could stay mad at each other for more than 5 minutes). We were pals and always glad to have each other at new churches or school or on campus in college. To me, she always seemed brave, though I'm sure it wasn't always the case. I especially miss singing with her (though I don't miss the clarinet duets...) She and my mom and I would sing at church quite often AND at home doing the dishes AND driving around town, not non-stop, but ALWAYS in 3 part harmony!!! Sometimes we would sing with our cousin Amy, too. The three of us will never again be able to sing "I felt every tear drop when in darkness you cried and I strove to remind you that for those tears I died" without LAUGHING and I can't even expain to you why because I just don't have time and you wouldn't understand anyway. (But I promise you if Amy and Coleen read this, they will be laughing right now!)

May God continue to bless you, my faithful sister! I love you and see God at work in and through you and pray He will continue to bless you as you serve Him faithfully. Happy Birthday!!!!!
Love, Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and heart with me.