Wednesday, June 06, 2007

En la Cocina con Toby

Yesterday I was making some sandwiches with Toby, who is very enthusiastic and optimistic about life in general. When I told him what I was making, he said, "I LOVE BBQ beef! It's my favorite kind of chicken!" : ) Then when I really was making chicken to put in the crockpot, he touched the raw chicken and proceeded to stick his finger into his mouth, presumably b/c he thought the chicken would taste good already. We then had this nice little discussion about not doing that because of the bacteria that could make you sick, etc. (I skipped the really big words like Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella, Clostridium perfringens, Campylobacter, Listeria monocytogenes, Vibrio parahaemolyticus, Bacillus cereus, and Entero-pathogenic Escherichia colisalmonella.) (And yes, I just found those online somewhere.) It went about like this: T: "What are bacteria?" Me: "Ummm... they're kind of like germs." T: "And do the bacteria get out when you cook it?" Me: "No, when you cook it they die." T: "OH GOODY!" So now I'm off to excite him again with some egg salad sandwiches. (To which Toby says "Right on!") If only the rest of us were that easy to please...

1 comment:

  1. If only! I have a whole crew of picky eaters :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and heart with me.