Sunday, May 01, 2011

A Higher Perspective

This week I wanted to go back over what I had written during Lent and see if there was a theme that I hadn't noticed or some other lesson that I would recognize in hindsight.  But, alas, while I sort of got started at one point, I never made it through it all.  Maybe I never will.  Maybe I'm not far enough away to recognize the significance of that season yet.  God's ways are not my ways...  and from His perspective things always look so much different than they do from mine.  

He says in Isaiah 55:8-9 "'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the LORD.  'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.'"  God always has a higher perspective than I do.

It reminds me of a phenomena in Peru called the Nazca Lines.  They are huge...  Hmm.  I'm not sure if they're considered sculptures or drawings or what.  Maybe I'll go look.  Oh.  Of course.  They're GEOGLYPHS.  (I can't even pretend that I knew that.)  They were created sometime between 400 & 650 AD by the Nazca people of Peru and nobody knows how they were made or exactly why they were made.  



They are quite amazing. There are over 100 different drawings.  They were made by people without the aid of airplanes or computers (obviously) and from the ground they are too big to see.  .  Just like how from the ground a field looks like a bunch of plants or trees instead of a square in an agricultural patchwork quilt.  Just like how from my perspective, I can't see all of the significance of this season.  I can see some of it, but not all of it.   I can't see all of the significance of what I did during Lent this year, but I'm sure it's there.



One of the most popular theories about why the Nazca lines were created is that they were made as an offering for their gods.  So they had to be big enough to be seen from far away.  Oh, how I love my God.  : )  I love that He is not so far away that we have to draw enormous pictures for Him to see from way up in the sky.  My God is so huge that He can see everything on earth, AND THROUGHOUT ETERNITY all at once.  Isn't that amazing?  Not only that, but God is SO CLOSE to me that He knows the hairs on my head.  He knows the nerves and cells and molecules and atoms that make up my heart.  He knows my thoughts and dreams and my past and future and the plans He has for me.  That's my God.  : )  I'm so thankful I know Him and can trust Him because He knows and sees it all even though I don't.

And that makes me smile.  : )  I hope it makes you smile too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and heart with me.