Thursday, June 28, 2012

To Join the Dance?

This week's 5 Minute Friday writing-without-stopping-just-for-the-fun-of-it prompt is: DANCE.   Ready?  Go!

I hear the music.  Literally.  Loudly.  Coming from somewhere a few concrete backyards away it would seem.  It's 11:15pm (yeah... not technically Friday here yet so I feel like I'm cheating!!!) but surely at midnight and likely until the wee, wee hours of the morning I'll be hearing the music and the people will still be dancing because here in Peru? The parties don't end early.  : ) Frequently on the weekends I can hear the faroff nightclub music still pounding at 4:30am.  Sheesh!  But here's the thing...  Will I join the dance or not?

Now, no... I'm not literally going to go dancing.  But I still have a choice to make as I snuggle down into my bed tonight and every other night like this.  Will I grumble and gripe about how much the people here love to party and celebrate and how I have to listen to it even at midnight when I want to sleep? Or will I appreciate it and thank God for the people making the music and pray for them to know Jesus and smile at the beauty of a people who aren't afraid to make a bit of noise when they're happy?

Goodness, it can be so much more complicated.  I know there is a lot of icky that can go with the all night party... but MY choice is mine to make...

(And STOP!)

Wow, 5 minutes goes by quickly. : )  And goodness it's hard not to go back and EDIT.

Wanna try?  Come join the party...  (Maybe even dance a little!)  http://lisajobaker.com/




7 comments:

  1. This is really good Melissa and so true! It always amazes me how things can change when we look at them a different way. I'll be praying with you that these people find and know Jesus and also that you get some peaceful slumber! :) Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Or will I appreciate it and thank God for the people making the music and pray for them to know Jesus and smile at the beauty of a people who aren't afraid to make a bit of noise when they're happy?"

    We have neighbors who like to play their music late into the night. Not every night. But when they do, I have to choose which attitude to have. I love how you articulated this here. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:32 AM

    I do think at some level...we can enter into another’s joy...and the simple shift from how the noise if affecting me...to pray for how this noise affects their lives...blessings and sweet sleep to you~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man... you made me cry. I was just reading along enjoying your post and then you mentioned praying for them to know Jesus and you caught me off guard! Bless you for seeing the choice you had to make. Enjoyed your post very much. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those of us who celebrate differently don't always appreciate the celebrations of others. But think what church would be like if these people who know how to celebrate hard came to Jesus! Now that's a party!

    Maybe you need to think of a church planting scheme with celebrations starting at 10pm.

    (Me, I'd just have to get up a few hours earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when we lived in that kind of neighborhood in Indonesia. It was horrible. The music that they played and danced was totally not the one you wanna listen to.
    At that time we were not in Christ, so we got angry and hated them all the time.

    Today I remember this thing again and felt like if we were in Christ at that time, we could pray for them. And we still can.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and heart with me.