Monday, March 01, 2010

2010 Memory Verse #5 - Calm vs. the Storm

What I'm memorizing next...

Matthew 8:24-26

"Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, 'Lord, save us! We're going to drown!' He replied, 'You of little faith, why are you so afraid?' Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm."

I'm stepping out in faith in some areas of life right now and can go from feeling completely at peace in the morning to the middle of a storm of insecurity by mid-afternoon. As I came upon this passage last week, it seemed like such a perfect picture of what goes on sometimes in my heart. When I take my eyes off of Jesus start to look for approval from others, "without warning, a furious storm" comes up in my heart. When I start to look at overwhelming circumstances, the waves sweep over my mind. When I look at myself and my strength, I can become like the disciples – sure that I'm going to drown!

And all the while, Jesus is at peace. At rest. Calm. Cool. Collected. J He has not a fear in the world because He knows. He knows everything there is to know about my weaknesses and what He's calling me to. He knows how easy it is to rebuke the wind and waves and bring peace again. He knows who I am, but more importantly, He knows who He is. At our retreat last weekend, we talked about responding to life with faith instead of fear. That's what I want. When the waves start to swell (because they will) and I start to feel afraid (because I will) I want to cry out to Jesus to save me… not out of fear, but out of faith. I want to stand WITH HIM in rebuking the lies and restoring calm – complete calm! – to my heart and mind as I trust Him.

Our youth group is also memorizing scripture, and this is our verse for this week:

Luke 6:45

"Good people do good things because of the good in their hearts. Bad people do bad things because of the evil in their hearts. Your words show what is in your heart." (Contemporary English Version)

I pray that this week (and forever!) when my words show what is in my heart, they are evidence of FAITH growing in my heart as I trust God.

What are you memorizing? May God bless you this week with faith that is growing, even if it's growing because He's stretching it!

J, Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and heart with me.