Thursday, January 21, 2010

I'm Leavin' On a Jet Plane...

Well, first I actually have to take a prop plane but eventually tomorrow morning I'll be on a jet plane to Houston to attend the LPM Scripture Memory Team Celebration (google it if you're curious) at Beth Moore's home church! I'm super excited and just about packed and ready to go! All I really have time for at the moment is to post (late!) what I'm memorizing and pondering this half of January. It's a passage that has always fascinated and perplexed me.
Luke 10:38-42 "As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, 'Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!' 'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered, 'you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
In my pondering and praying about this passage this week, so far I've noticed:
  • Martha wasn't just working. She was "distracted, worried & upset". Hmmm...
  • Mary was listening to Jesus.
  • Martha thought Jesus didn't care.
  • I wish Jesus had been more specific about the "one thing" that is needed. Was it just for that day? The only thing that's ever needed???
  • Mary's choice to sit at the Lord's feet would not be taken away from her.
God's been showing me more and more how important it is for me to seek Him more and to sit with Him more and to listen to Him more - ALL DAY LONG. EVERY DAY. That just might be the "one thing." Being close to Him... This is another verse I discovered the other day that I'm listening to... Jeremiah 10:23 "I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps." I'm learning to trust the Holy Spirit to direct my steps more often. And right now He's directing me to stop and go to bed so I can wake up in the morning and get on that plane. Can't wait to tell you all what I learn while I'm gone!!!!! : ) ~Melissa PS What are you memorizing???

5 comments:

  1. I hope at meet you in Houston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm memorizing Philippians 4:6-8. You don't know how hard it has been for me to make this commitment for scipture memorization,but I'M GONNA DO IT! I put my envy aside and prayed for your trip today -- hope you have no weather issues. I really am excited for you! AND -- I'm right in the middle of the Esther study right now, too. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Melissa, I just read your comment to me. I wish we could have found each other. If there is a next time, I'll give you my cell number. I typed that comment to you in a hurry yesterday before leaving.
    I had an awesome time at the celebration, too.
    I will keep coming to your blog. I am a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,
    I am praying for a amazing experience for you. I signed up for the retreat today! Right now, I'm not sure my brain can maintain anymore. So, I am focussed on praying. Maybe you can remind me about memorizing in May, when I graduate. Have a great trip. Can't wait to hear about it.

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm working on Matthew 6:24-34, the "do not worry, but seek first his kingdom" and "each day has enough trouble of its own", passage. I have to admit I've memorized part of this before, so I thought it would be an easy place to start after not memorizing for a LONG time. I also have to admit, I'm having trouble finding a consistent time each day to work on it.

    Can't wait to hear about your trip, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and heart with me.